My Thoughts on the First Vision


One of the unique opportunities available to BYU students is to be able to take religious courses for college credit. This semester, I am enrolled in a course covering the second half of the Doctrine and Covenants. Due to the nature and origin of the Doctrine and Covenants, we began the class by discussing the history of Joseph Smith and his First Vision.

              The topics discussed weren’t necessarily new information for me, but I could see his story from another prospective. We talked in detail the fact that there are nine different accounts, from Joseph, of his First Vision. Even though I have read these accounts previously, what caused me to ponder was what my professor emphasized. He pointed out that in five of the nine accounts, Joseph’s primary focus for going to the Sacred Grove was to seek out forgiveness for his sins.

              What really hit me hard was the realization of the purity, humility, and goodness of Joseph at this young stage of his life. I think back to what I worried about when I was 14 years old, and it wasn’t the welfare of my soul (even though maybe it should have been). It makes me wonder what the world would be like if more people possessed more of these traits Joseph demonstrated from an early age.

              As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, it can be easy for you to find yourself caught in a rut. We can become so accustomed to doing the basics that they become meaningless habits. As a personal goal this week, I have been trying to pray more earnestly and with more humility as Joseph demonstrated. I can’t say I have had any life changing experiences like Joseph, but I have felt that more prayers are significantly more effective.

              Do any of you have any pointers or ideas that you have found help you to maintain meaningful prayers and avoid thoughtless repetitions?

Comments

  1. It is always incredible to study the events leading to the Restoration, the Lord truly is in control of everything! Something I remember my mission president talking about was the catalyst repentance is. In scriptural accounts, repentance and a desire to be forgiven precedes divine events. It brings us to a humble state and makes us recognize that it is only through Christ that we can ever get better. Prayers can become repetitive and rant like all too easy, but having a focus on repenting and getting better always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine how much of better world we would live in if everyone had to humility and faith that Joseph had! We too often get caught up in our own pride and deny ourself the blessings that could potentially have come from us. When we think or believe that our own knowledge and capabilities exceeds that of God, we put some serious restrictions on how much we can accomplish and who we can become.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sure You Want To Delete?

Westover's Marley and Me

DON'T BURN THE YERBA!