DON'T BURN THE YERBA!


Yerba Mate is an herbal tea consisting of an herb plant originating from northern Argentina. Mate is drunk across South America. Mate is known to have many health benefits such as: good source of antioxidants, help you focus and stay awake, hunger suppressant, decreases lactic acid build up in your muscles, promotes good sleep.

              Although mate is not common in the United States, I first became familiar with yerba mate in Dallas, Texas while on my mission. At first I thought it was disgusting, but I soon acquired the necessary taste to enjoy such a drink. Since then I have continued to drink mate on a regular basis.

              Nevertheless, I learned something new about mate this week. I learned that when you first pour in the water to drink mate, it is best to pour in cold water (even though mate is prepared hot). The reason being, is so that you do not burn the mate right away with boiling hot water. This allows the taste of the yerba to be consistent throughout.

              Now that I know that, I will definitely make sure not to burn my mate as that would be a shame. I can’t believe it took me this long to learn such an essential step.

              For those of you that are interested in trying mate, I highly recommend it at any cost! But always remember to NOT BURN THE YERBA!

Comments

  1. I have tried Mate a couple of times and it is definitely unique compared to what we are used to drinking! It's good, even though I have a hard time getting over how hot it is when it is first served.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried Mate but I'd be excited to try it out! Mate sounds somewhat similar to how the Japanese drink Matcha, a drink that supposedly has a myriad of health benefits. I haven't tried Matcha either, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had it, but I have a lot of friends who do. That's great to know! I will have to pass on the info.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sure You Want To Delete?

Westover's Marley and Me