Moab Madness


This past weekend was definitely one for the memory books. My friends, John and Caiden, decided to take me to Moab to go mountain biking for the first time. Being from Florida I had never been to Moab, never really spent too much time on a mountain, and hadn’t biked too much previously. John and Caiden, however, are avid mountain bikers and were so excited to share their passion with me. For those that are familiar with Moab mountain bike trails, we did the following trails: Bartlett Wash, Slickrock, Bull Run, Arch’s Corner, and Little Canyon.

One of the biggest things I learned after reflecting on my first day biking, is that I was missing learning and fun by being too cautious. I made the goal the next day to give it my all, and if I got hurt then I got hurt. But if I decided that some parts of the trail were too hard and walked down most of it, then I was robbing myself of growth opportunities.

I crashed many times and I did get beat up, scratched, and bruised. I loved every second of it! I had so much fun! I learned by trial and error. Towards the end of the trail, I was noticeably better than I was when I started. I knew my limits and saw them grow.

I learned that it is ok to fail in life sometimes. There is nothing wrong with not being perfect. I found that while bike riding and in life in general, some of my greatest learning has come from the times when I fail. I am going to try a little harder this week to seek correction and growth opportunities in my life, especially when I fail in my endeavors.

Comments

  1. Tyler, I completely agree. In order to succeed, we have to fall on our faces sometimes. I would argue that we learn and grow more from failing than from succeeding. If you look at some of the most successful people, they all have their own track records of fails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a lot to get back up after we fall sometimes. Sometimes, its not even that we want to quit, but we kind of just want to take it easy, and walk our bike down, rather than ride it, in a sense. But I think you're right, living life to the fullest is worth the bumps and scrapes we may pick up along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your message is so true that we often times learn the most when we fail. The hard part I think is that we get scared to fail. Failing is a scary idea in of itself. What will people think of us? What if it hurts to much to fall? What if we never learn to succeed? Even if we don't learn anything else, overcoming those fears is be a gigantic accomplishment by itself. Then, like you said, we learn to succeed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sure You Want To Delete?

Westover's Marley and Me

DON'T BURN THE YERBA!